Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
There's a nice winery with great surroundings (and miserably sweet wine) :rolleyes:. The up-country area is gorgeous and you can get some great small-town shots.
Ever heard of Volcano wine? It comes from the town of Volcano on the Big Island (just outside of the National Park). Then you have the entire Kona coast, where you can visit coffee plantations - Hawaii is the only state in the US where coffee is grown, and Kona is the premium Hawaiian coffee.

Not to miss is the flowing lava at Volcano National Park, at night it looks like rivers of red running down the mountain, and into the ocean. Nearby is the black sand beaches, although that keeps changing. The twin volcanos of Maona Loa and Maona Kea, both over 14,000ft - snowcapped at this time of year. Then you have the largest ranch in the US, the Parker ranch in the center of the island. Waipio Valley at the top end, where you can still see how the ancient Hawaiians used to live - along the way you can see towns like Kamuela, which still has very rural areas (just like upcountry Maui).

Maui is fine, I'll take Big Island anyday. Of course, I live on Oahu, which is city, so when I go off island, I normally go to the Big Island or Kauai, to get away from the city and away from the crowds of tourists.