Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
The original URLs posted by Titrisol of the work done at RIT refers to recent work.

This entire subject has been known about 100 years, and is reported on in the Haist Book, "Modern Photographic Processing" and has also been mentioned in Anchell and Troop.

PE

I checked out the original urls in the Titrisol's posts and it was everything that I had read before I started experimenting. I will have check out the Haist book though.

Basically what I was trying to do was utilize the coffee with develop times that were more reasonable. Adding the Ascorbic Acid and Phendione definately helped, but it makes me wonder if there is any merit to mixing develop agents that are not superadditive. I guess there are comercial developers do this to some extent. It seems like mixing a low contrast and a medium or high constrast developer would be beneficial but it is likely that the faster acting developer will dominate the reduction process. Especially if each of the develop agents respond differently to temperature.

Right now I am working on splitting out the developers into 2 baths to try to utilize the benefits of each(although at the cost of small develop times). One bath uses just coffee as the develop agent and the other just uses the ascorbic acid/phenidone combo with less alkali to make it less aggressive.
The idea is that the coffee will render the bulk of the image without the full density. The ascorbic acid/phenidone will just bring the density up in the darker areas to get more blacks. The limited work I have done so far seems to show this behavior but I don't think I have enough data yet.