Quote Originally Posted by buggy
I'm getting ready to order supplies to begin van dyke printing. I already have the chemicals from Bostick and Sullivan. Along with a contact frame, puddle pusher, and paper.

I am ready to get the trays, bottles to hold the fixers, graduated cylinders to measure, scale to weigh, etc. I do not know what sizes of bottles and how many, what size trays( I am using 8.5x11 paper), will 8x10 trays be large enough to accomodate 8.5x11 paper? What size of graduated cylinder should I get to measure? Are all trays similiar or does one brand stand above the rest?

Basically, I am asking for help on what to buy, how many, and what size.

Also, do I need a scale to weigh dry chemicals or is it ok to use conversion factors and measure dry chemicals?

Does anyone have any ideas on this to get me started? I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I really don't need.

Thanks for any help...
To mix up the basic traditional VDB solution you will need to mix 3 different chemicals of 33ml each. Part A, B, and C. You will then add these together to make a final volume of 100 ml. It is important to follow the mixing instructions. After mixing each part (A, B & C) A&B will be added together and stirred throughly. Then part C (the silver nitrate solution) will be mixed into the combined A&B mixture very slowly. Usually a white cloudy percipitate will form , try to avoid this though by adding part C very slowly.

I recommend that you contact B&S and get a few dropper bottles with plastic droppers. The plastic droppers have a uniform size and the drops shoupd be all the same size. I'm surprised that this wasn't supplied with your kit.

But to answer question get 2 or 3 50 or 100 ml wide mouth plastic graduates to measure the required water. And a couple of beakers will be useful.

And BTW, photo grade silver nitrate is real cheap about $100 or so per pound, enough for a life time of VDB printing. The FAC isn't very expensive a pound is about $25 nor is the tartarric acid.

The most expensive material will be the paper to make prints. Use good quality paper otherwise you will be disappointed from the get go.

Go for 11x14 flat bottomed trays. Probably at least 3. You can process with just 1 tray but you will need trays to wash and hold wet prints.

All of this will just get you started but in the end went you make your first good print will will be thankful that you spent a little more money for supplies.

Don Bryant