</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Nov 30 2002, 07:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hi Carl, Socorro is sold by B&amp;S with an &quot;advanced platinum&quot; admonishion. I did not know advanced platinum meant crap right out of the box, now I know.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Jorge,

No, no&#33; Socorro Platinum is not crap if you treat it right. In fact, it gives some of the most beautiful smooth, warm golden brown tones of any paper I&#39;ve printed on (which is a very long list&#33

From your description, your neg is much too low in contrast to make a good platinum print on just about any paper. You need to lose the ferric no. 2 ENTIRELY and some or all of the platinum. Socorro is, in fact, an alternate name for Van Gelder Simili Japon as Clay suggested. I get the best results on this paper by double-coating with 2 relatively light coats because the paper is not very absorbent as it comes from the factory.

With the right neg and very warm (~150 degrees) potassium oxalate and double-coated with straight palladium or just a bit of platinum, you should get very smooth tones throughout the scale and a beautiful, beautiful warm color.

Good luck,
Kerik Kouklis
www.kerik.com