Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen
What do people do to properly dry sheets of freshly coated Pt/Pd paper? In his workshop, Dan Burkholder used a hair dryer to get the drying process started. He indicated that one can use the hair dryer too much or too little. He tries for a "satin" look to the paper, and then he stops using the hair dryer. Thereafter, let the paper dry.

I'm looking for an approach that's as consistent as possible, sheet to sheet over time. As a "hair dryer", I've been using the small ceramic heater that keeps my darkroom warm. It gives a nice volume of hot air over a large area. (Kind of like some of our politicians.)

I want to use some form of drying like this, if it makes a difference. But, I'm struck by the degree of variability this could introduce to the process. Or, is there a different way to achieve the same effect, yet avoid a potential source of variability?

Neil, A lot of the drying techniques and methods used depends on personal preferences. As Kerik stated, different papers will require different absolute times. For many years, I dried with a hair dryer for 1 to 2 minutes on the front or coated side, then flipped it over and dried the backside an additional 4 to 6 minutes depending on paper. For the last 8 years, I have been coating and placing directly into my drying box for a required length of time. Directly here means after the paper has properly sat and soaked in the coating. The box is kept to 100F with a small ceramic heater and the air is cirulated with an additional 5 in pancake fan. The dials have been removed from teh heater and relocated in the box to keep the readings based on air temp and NOT that of the heater and it's elements.

After drying I rehumidify my paper for 1/2 hour to an RH of 60%.

The key to drying is to not dry to hot and begin at the right time.

Eric