Quote Originally Posted by mark
There is a photo I saw. It is not the subject that bugs me it is the location. The location is very sacred to the culture I am surrounded by everyday. I showed it to a very traditional man and his response was "I hope something bad happens to...." I asked why and was told that it was a sacred place and the picture made it not sacred it made it "small and unimportant".

This got me thinking. When we go out to make photographs, do we take into account the cutlure of the area we are photographing? Living in the SW I am surrounded by many cultures with differing views of photography. I have to keep these in mind when I go out.

My concern is do you think we as photographers, artists, shadow catchers what have you, have the obligation to respect the culture of the region/country we are in, or are we free to do what we want?

Side note. If this gets out of hand please delete it.
Good question Mark. I'm positive it varies for everyone.
Their knowledge or ignorance of their subject has a bearing.
And whether, if they are armed with understanding of the possible effects of taking their photographs, their own values and moral judgement are sufficient to temper their actions.

I like to think my own values and cultural sensitivity are reasonably high. Perhaps NZer's generally don't like treading on the toes of other cultures. Experience photographing in other countries though; on occasions I've often employed an approach of shoot first and apologise afterwards. I simply wasn't armed with sufficient information about the circumstances other than knowing I could lose a great shot. I guess in these case fell into the ignorant basket. But out of the thousands of images made offshore, I've only been yelled at once, and photo didn't happen.

I think core values of the photographer help in circumstances where a quick decision has to be made.