anyone seriously interested in discussions on this topic would find himself enriched by reading the book I mentioned in one of the first posts of this thread. It let's peoples from within the cultures themselve describe some of the problems they have with photography, or being photographed. Some are photographers, others discover the wealth of information that photos taken, even without the consent of the photographed, provides them with, others would rather see all photos destroyed. Another fun book to read is written by the famous balloonrider and entrepreneur photographer Nadar writes about Balzacs' problems with being photographed. And that's France

But seriously, if someone has a problem with something being photographed, for a sincere reason like religious reasons, then it's a matter of weighing the necessity of your shot against the harm you inflict. Beauty is found in a good many places, especially if you look well (as should every photographer), so going to the next place could be a logical step..

I will admit that my attitude towards this issue has changed a lot over the years (even though I'm young, yes). Traveling in Muslim African countries, and extenstively through China at first I always felt I should take the shot. I mean "what harm would it do". But as I looked more and more at photos (in general), of all kinds of subjecst, the power of the image became clearer to me. And with that (though a bit later) it dawned upon me that with this power the right to a certain degree (determined by your own sense of right and wrong) of the photographed to say yae or nae to being photographed became clear to me..

cheers,

Onno