Quote Originally Posted by photobum
If you have been to Jersey City and Newark I can tell you that it can only get better. As a lifelong Jerseyite it sure was fun reading this thread. Yes, there are some very nice places. The downside is the homicidal attitude you must maintain in order to commute. Other drivers, reading the Times, drinking a coffee, doing their hair and talking on the cell phone, all while driving 80 MPH on Route 80 during rush hour. That's if your lucky. You might be parked on the Parkway.

Those beaches another poster wrote about? Ask him about getting home after a day at the beach. Oh, and 4 G's a year in property tax is a steal.
It might be a steal in NJ, but compared to the rest of the country... My sister in Florida has a house a little bigger than mine on a quarter acre, her taxes are $800 per year!

Speaking of commuting... My wife has a 27 mile commute. We live about 4 miles from where she gets on the Garden State Parkway at exit 117. She gets off at exit 135 and has a short run to her job through Clark and Westfield. Those 27 miles take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours! My "easy" 13 mile commute takes about a half an hour (but that includes stopping for coffee and a buttered roll).

Oh yes... for those who don't live here... If you ever visit NJ, make sure you stop at a deli for a porkroll, egg, and cheese sandwich for breakfast! Your arteries will harden, but they are soooooo good!