Quote Originally Posted by lkorell
..... snip....
After that, I would rather shoot film because I DON'T have to keep checking anything. I can keep my eye on the subject and just shoot. Weddings are always tricky with changes in lighting and I think film can be more forgiving with minor changes while digital requires a more controlled exposure setting. That certainly though, dispells the myth that anyone with a digital camera can be a good photographer. It's harder!

Lou
I do remember, really, I do, helping a couple shooters do weddings with a Crown Graphic and flashbulbs. Compared to that, the Rolleiflex and Graflex strobe seemed .... well... cutting edge. Or a Koni or Mamiya. Welcome to 1968.

If the assumption is that a photographer can push the button 25 times and come up with 25 good pictures, digital is completely insane.

But there is an 'editing' obsession that infected photography, for which digital is the natural conclusion. Mutant devolution, the triumph of the Machine Age.

I was shooting pro sports when AF EOS and F4 came to town. Yawn, big deal. It was great for folks who didn't know where and when the pictures would come, and they had chase the game. They would go to their editor with 12 rolls of film, and have 2 or 3 good images. I would go with 5 or 6 good images from a couple rolls. And the first thing I learned about AF is that it was harder to get the pictures I wanted to take !

So it all came down to the editor, needing uncountable images to choose from, rather than have the photographer bring back what happened.

And THAT is the entire difference: editorial control, rather than the unscripted photographer, had become important. All AF SLRS with fast motors accomplished was to allow the editor to say, " Follow so-and-so. Bring me back a choice of images of the quarterback no matter what ". And digital solves that even better than film. It wasn't a revolution of digital over film, but a revolution of celebrity images and editorial control that demanded pseudo-video of the entire event to 'capture' images from.

And that is what has re-shaped event / wedding photography. Choosing from hundreds of lousy pictures is more important than having a couple dozen masterpieces in a book from a capable photographer.

And I'll go so far as to suggest the dilution of the marketplace by inept photographers, coupled with the obsession to be a celebrity for a day has reshaped the business. It isn't digital that is the enemy, it is Popular Culture.

Oh well. Time to go down to the darkroom and sniff the D76.

d