I’ve visited Clyde Butcher's gallery in Big Cypress and found it a mixed bag. Some of the images were very striking even in smaller print sizes and IMHO well executed. Others were less so. I was left with the impression that the dark sky at the edges of some prints was intentionally burned this way. I would personally never do this so obviously, but this is Butcher’s call. Yes, there were often blocked highlights as the sun filters through the canopy into deep shade, but many of these shaded swamp images worked beautifully despite “imperfect” negatives. Does a blocked highlight or black shadow in very difficult lighting necessarily mean that his best images are not art? A subjective judgment in any case. If you visit some of these areas (I have), and your eyes have adjusted to the shade, if you look up the highlights blow out in your vision the same way. This is exactly what it really looks like. I think that comparing every print to the spectacular best that can be achieved with "perfect" negatives and azo or Pd/Pt contact prints is not always appropriate. I say this even as a committed Pd/Pt printer.

The Butchers recently opened another gallery in Venice, FL. It would seem someone must be collecting his work at pretty healthy prices.