Sandy,
Sorry, I suppose I should have been more clear in my explination of my meterings. What I did was I took an incident reading of the scene. I then picked out what I believed should lie in zone III, and zone VII. The outcome of these readings for zone V was equal to the incident reading. I did this to be sure that all of my scenes would be of normal contrast range, and to make sure I had the incident reading proper, and visa versa.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
I am just curious how you meter using incident readings? If you meter in the most highly illuminated areas of the scene you will get under-exposures of 1/2 to to one stop with B&W films with the meter set for the manufactuerer's film speed. If you are really concerned about shadow values double the EI of your film and take the reading in open shadows. (but not in the deepest shadows). Another good solution, perhaps the best one for incident metering with B&W film, is to use the normal ASA value and take two incident readings, one in the shadows, another in the bright part of the scene, and average the two readings. Another option is to halve the film speed and take the reading in the sun but this will not guarantee good shadow detail.

Sandy