Interesting to me was the fact that Fred Picker, in the later Newsletters that I have, advocated a "key day" approach to photography. In these he alluded to and advocated more the "intuitive" practice that Edward Weston followed then to the more technical approach of Ansel Adams. I think that there is a great deal to say about the difference in approaches.

In the "key day" method of determining exposure he advocated a series of three, as I recall, basic lighting conditions. The first is a high key day in which there is bright unclouded sky. The second would be a hazy overcast day with indistinct shadows. The third would be a heavily clouded day.

In the first instance, lets assume that we determine a proper exposure for a typical luminance scene would be 1/2 second at F32 (or equivalent) for the film that we are using. In the second instance we would open up one stop. In the third instance we would open up still another stop. If we photograph in open shade we open a stop. If we photograph in deep shade we open another stop (at least).

By incorporating the development by inspection practice that Michael Smith advocates, we free ourselves from a lot of the technical hinderances that can get in the way of seeing and making meaningful photographs.

When I began to trust my eyes, I learned that I can see when a scene is low contrast, normal contrast, and high contrast. I can certainly determine whether there are clouds in the sky. I think that meters are wonderful devices. However they do not make meaningful photographs. Photographers do that.