Thanks for all the replies. I requested info on a couple of metal working forums and have been told that 301 stainless is a hardened, tempered stainless specifically made for use as springs and items such as metal spatulas and pastry tools. It requires no additional treating for cutting or machining but does require a pretty specific process of heating and cooling to be formed or bent and then retain its qualities as a spring.

It can be cut on an abrasive water jet or stamped. For aerospace applications water jet is the required method as it introduces no heat into the metal and causes no fatigue at the edges as does stamping.

I will probably be ordering a 24"x24" sheet of .047" (9 gauge I believe). So if anyone needs such a material in the future for some reason let me know and I can have some cut for you.