That is about it.

One more thing. Mention has been made that in practice we do not often utilize all of the maximum density of our processes. There are several reasons for this, but the most important is that the combination of film toe and paper shoulder often make it necessary to use only about 90% of Dmax, assuming of course that the goal is to make a print with a full range of tones all of the way from the shadows to the highlights.

With films that have a very straight line curve, such as Tmax 100 and 400, and processes that are very straight line, such as carbon, it is possible to obtain a higher percentage of the total process density. With well-made digital negatives you can use virtually 100% of total process density. For example, in printing with one of my favorite carbon tissues I can get a maximum density of only about 1.55 with in-camera negatives, while the use of digital negatives allows densities on the print of over 1.70.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by darinwc
OK, so the general consensus of the replies tells me:

>having the BEST dmax is not necesary, so long as you do have an acceptable dmax.

>the film curve has alot to do with how a paper prints.

>there are many variables that affect the total viewer experience.

Thank you for your responses. If anyone has more to add, please feel free.