I'm a new person to APUG, so far I've been in one blind print exchange, and have just sent out some postcards for the current round of postcard exchange.

In the blind print exchange, I sent a colour 12x16" print to the UK inside a tube, I received a B&W print from Canada.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Canadian print, it was small, unmounted, but packed inbetween light card. it is stuck up on my darkroom wall along with my better pictures, not hidden. The small letter that arrived with it, is stuck to the back of the print.

I haven't as yet received any postcard pictures, but I have no doubt in the ensuing weeks, they will start coming in.

I don't expect a miracle print to walk through the door, I make my expectations realistic.

Most members are either well established people with busy lives, youngish with frenetic lives, middle of the road with children and mortgages, or, retired with time but not too much moolah to spread around. In short the whole spectrum of normal people with photography as a hobby.

Hobbies wax and wane and should never be something that has to be done. Hobbies should be done at a pace and style that suits each individual, if that allows one to participate in the odd print exchange, or two, fine. If not that's fine too!

Looking through the galleries gives one a hint of what is being done, but isn't a real indication. Many people, myself included, don't own a film scanner, quite a lot of people seem to have access to a print scanner.These scanners and their software are like the members, diverse. I do not really have the equipment, or time, to get decent scans of any of my prints.

My hobby is photography, I use film, I make prints, I give away prints, I sometimes get prints given to me.

I made up my mind to participate in the odd print exchange or two, when the time and my desire permits.

Mick.