Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
Manual cameras are nice for learning the craft. However, most every 35mm photographer finds the need at some time for auto exposure. There is often not enough time for slow contemplative photography. Then such cameras as the EM are a welcome additions to any camera bag. As was pointed out it gives you access to a fine family of lenses. I would keep it and get another Nikon body.
Gerald,

I hope didn't come across as condemning auto exposure in general or the EM in particular. I agree completely with what you are saying, however, what I took out of the initial question was that a little more control was desired in order to learn a bit more about photography in general, and eventually go a little more in-depth into it. I think auto-exposure is fine once you learn what it is doing, how its doing it and why - and as such, what to expect from it and how to use it best. That's why I suggested keeping the EM - little financial gain from selling it, and a handy little camera (with emphasis on little) to have when just such a thing is called for.
As to the suggestion of the FG - I would have to say that while it too is a fine camera (I haveone, and love it dearly), it would not be "the" camera I would buy in this case. It is very much a consumer camera which does not have certain features I think someone learning about photography could greatly benefit from (dof preview for one). But if you have the motor drive for the EM already, it does cast a vote in favour of an FG, as it essentially the same chassis with another exposure mode and the ability to go fully manual. The meter is very accurate, at least on my example, when compared with much more "pro" level gear. But I think an FM/FE type camera would serve you a lot better before you find yourself needing anything else in a manual focus 35mm camera (as you might have noticed, many people never do find a need for anything else - that's how fine a camera they are).

Well, I think I deserve to pat myself on the back for my complete lack of any Canon propaganda

Peter.