Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
Perhaps I'm mistaken about what the camera should do. And I see that I was mistaken on one point; all of the illustrations that show a lens at all seem to show an AF lens. But I find it hard to believe that a relatively advanced SLR can have an exposure system that doesn't indicate which aperture it thinks has been selected. "Trust me" is hard to believe. "Look at the lens, you idiot" seems archaic.

Thanks again,

Dan
AFAIK, the camera works as expected (no indication of aperture in the display with MF lenses). I'm getting ready to buy the same camera (N8008s/F801s) next month, and I'll be getting it specifically for the purpose of using it with manual AI/S lenses.

The camera works just fine with those, but it seems that it DOES NOT provide aperture info in the display. You have to set the f-stop on the lens yourself, and use the camera either in the program mode, or in A (aperture priority) mode. Manual mode will also work.

p. 44 of N8008s manual states:
"For lenses without a built-in CPU, "F---" appears where the aperture value is shown in the LCD panel and viewfinder"

E.g. manual (AI/S) lenses do not have a built-in CPU - ergo, "F---" is displayed instead of f-stop info. The camera should work as intended, though.

So, yes - it's a bit archaic, since you indeed have to "look at the lens" to see the f-stop.

But, it's the cheapest AF body which can use (almost) the full potential of manual AI lenses. F4 is the only better one, since it allows the use of matrix metering. F801s (i.e. N8008s in USA) uses center-weighted and spot metering with manual lenses. If you have a "plain" N8008 (without "s" designation), it does not have spot metering at all.

For more info about Nikon camera bodies, I heartily recommend "Pictorial history of Nikon cameras" site:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm

Denis