Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
Sorry, not enough American blood in my veins, I guess.
It isn't so much an "American" sensability, as it is a so called "New World" sensability.

Similar events occurred in Europe, it's just that they occurred long before photography was around to document them.

I live in British Columbia, and like Washington State this is a part of the world that continues to rely on logging for a significant amount of economic activity. Our culture and history are imbued with much that originated in the logging industry.

When the Kinsey photographs were taken, the prevailing values were radically different from the prevailing values now. As a result, the logging industry is very different now.

It is incredibly important that photographs like these remain, because the information they provide to us about what was "normal" includes important lessons for us now.

The Kinsey photographs are also a powerful argument for taking new photographs, of current circumstances, and taking steps to ensure that they last. Who knows what people 100 years from now might gain from having today's photographs still available.

As an aside, I particularly like the hand coloured images of Chuckanut Drive. In essaence, that road is unchanged even today, although the trestle railroad below, in the water, is long gone. I would recommend that drive highly .

Matt