Quote Originally Posted by photomc
Been reading Steve Anchell's The Variable Contrast Printing Manual and being a little dense have a couple of questions.

You might consult Les McLeans book Black & White Photography. There is a lot of information there.

1. What is the difference between Multiple-Filter Techniques and Split Printing? Isn't split printing, the same more or less?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think Multiple-Filter is the use of both Yellow and Magenta in a single exposure; Split Printing use a single exposure of Yellow (Grades 00 to 1-1/2) or 0 filter for Grade 2 and a second exposure of Magenta - usually at your enlargers Grade 5.

2. How often do most of the members here use split printing?

For me it has become Standard Operating Procedure. A single contrast filter has never produced what I can with split filtering. I just gave up trying to use only a magenta filter. It makes unquestionable sense to me that VC paper resonds differently to highligh and shadow exposures using seperate filters.

Oh, yeah what is a highlight and/or shadow printer Steve talks about..new term to me.

I don't know.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
[size=6][/size]