Quote Originally Posted by EricNeilsen
I didn't know it was a rarity : ) I picked it up years ago at Photo Eye in Santa Fe when I lived in Taos and made regular trips to The PLatinum Gallery delivering work.
The last I checked abe books had a copy for $235! More than I wish to pay.

What are you going to use it for? the requirements for ferric can be slightly different for different processes.
Kallitype and palladium printing.

and your own potassium oxalate,
Done that and it wasn't difficult just a bit messy. Making several gallons during one session wasn't that time consuming.

For an investment of $180.00 you can make 2.5 liters of liquid ferric oxalate. I can forward to you a method of making it or you can go to the site that Sandy posted for Jeffrey and download how to make powdered.
Sure send it to me.

AS part of making ferric oxalate, one converts ferrous to ferric. If you can do this during the process of making it, you can surely do it to stuff you already have. You can't stave off the process for ever though. Sandy was going to try and freeze some. He may be getting ready to thaw it?
I think he will thaw it out this summer. As an experiment I've frozen some as well.

Concentration of your liquid can be best estimated by specific gravity. In Stevens book there is a neat chart that the University of Notre Dame Science department whipped up for him. Is it definitive? Well no, but short of anything else it is a bench mark that I have used for 12+ years and it hasn't failed me.
I suppose I could make a batch from powder and then measure the SG as a reference.

In the life time of print making, what are a few hours? if you have the lab ware and can get the H2O2, I can sell you a small amount of AFS- Ammonium Ferrous Sulfate and if needed Oxalic acid, and you can then see for yourself. The best judge of how something will work for you, is YOU.
I've not been able to locate the bomb grade H202 and frankly I'm a bit leary of keeping the stuff around. As for the AFS I may be interested in getting some from you if I can't locate a source. I've got plenty of oxalic acid.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss the procedure. I do like to save money and not paying 50 cents a gram for FO would be nice.

Don