Go buy the first volume of Betty Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," where she'll teach you how to turn off the left, language-oriented side of the brain and see with the spatially-oriented right side, which is much more useful to seeing photogrraphs. I now pretty much "shift to right-brain mode" as soon as I look through a viewfinder. I see in shapes and tones then, and avoid giving anything a label, which is a word, like "rock," "moving water," etc. Only shapes and tones. You learn this through exercise and practice, which is why you need the book.

This is best learned by doing a number of her early exercises, which are also a lot of fun, and can be done just about anytime, anywhere. I first did them learning how to draw seats in airports as I was waiting for flights.

The most fascinating part: ego is left-brained, and requires language to express itself, and thinking in words is precisely what we're trying to avoid. As soon as I hear myself saying to myself "Wow! This is gonna be a really good picture!" I can guarantee that it won't be. If you can keep ego out of the way, your photographs will improve 100% overnight.