Quote Originally Posted by sanking

I press the tape down quite firmly with my fingers and it always releases quite easily. What is a boning tool? Not familiar with that kind of instrument.

A boning tool is commonly used in book making and matt cutting. Simply put it is a slightly curved piece of plastic with a softly rounded point. With it you can make a crisp crease in paper or smooth surfaces with a stroking motion. It also allows you to place a lot of pressure on a small area during the stroke. When I did this I though I hadn't put too much pressure on the tape, but as it turned out it was just too much.

There are several different shaped boning tools, I'll see if I can find a link to post that has an illustration of the tool.