about the visualization with the lenses...
basically there are two important points here and one more point deals with the concept behind using different lenses....
one is the field of view, and the second is the optical/geometrical effects.
our eyes has a very wide field of view, but not everything from this field comes to our intentionality. when we see something we are concentrated on some area in the field of our view. besically there is a concentration on the specific object, or a sensation of the space. if u have the technica than take the viewfinder and start experimanting with it and u will see how well it works. just change the focal lenghts and view through it. do it for fun (not in photo session). what i say is that if one is conscious enough of this mental process, he will know intuitively what lense will make this work.
but here is the second thing... the optical geometrical aspects of the lenses. here it is u who have to learn the view point of the lense cause it is defferent from our yeys. of course sometimes u have to make compromisses, for example when i stand very very close to what i want to photograph and want to give a real sesnse of space but because of the natural arangement of what i see i want to avoid some optical geometrical effects of very wide lense. it is more critical when u use rangefinder or any other camera without movements.
finally, this is not all about technical approach of what lense to choose etc. choosing those lenses etc has their outcome (on the print), and that what really counts at the end.