Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Two photographs in equally poor taste. If I were you, I'd try not to let anyone know that you'd made one of them. Blame them both on the other guy, if you can.
Bill,
Thank you for the "kind" words. Funny thing, people used to consider Helmut Newton's work (see avatar at left) to be tasteless, now he is considered by many to be one of the greatest fashion photographers in history. I'm sure you were just trying to be funny, but one major reason I come to this forum is the comraderie and the mutual respect we have for each other's work. Someone once told me that simply making a negative comment about one's work without backing it up with a constructive reason is not criticism, but just plain insult.

Everyone else,
Thanks to all the responses so far, especially the one's who can sympathize with my feelings on this. First of all, I wasn't expecting to get any legal retribution on this one, I just wanted to open up this discussion for future reference. Second, I'm sure my idea was not an original idea, but I honestly can't remember where I saw it first (I have a bad memory). If I had been inspired by anyone's work, personally, I would have given them credit (e.g. "inspired by a photo by...").

What is really troubling to me is that someone who my model and I know personally took an idea from me and used it for his own benefit. In my opinion, this is unethical and he should have at least alerted me or given me credit for doing this. Yes, I can take it as flattery, but I think it goes deeper than that because I know the person's general background and I feel he is basically a dishonest and manipulative person. Obviously, I'm taking this personally. If he were a nice guy and did the same exact photo I would not feel this way. Call it paranoia, call me sensitive, but things like this have happened to me before and I want to prevent or be prepared for this in the future.
Sincerely,
Ara