Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
Public buildings are refurbished every 20 years or so. Why are the standards for what a worker is supposed to expect in the decor any different for public employees? Maybe they should keep the original furniture and toilets too.
Toilets and art are two very distinct objects. A better example would be if I think we should change the sculptures and art every 20 years. The answer would be maybe.

It has no value in the current context. It is a place of business with certain goals. Educating people about hangings (in a partial sense) is not one of them. I expect a large amount of taxpayer dollars are going to be spent debating this artwork. For all we know it maybe amaturish and ugly too.
It has great value. It is a public building that deals in justice. Its business is justice. The depiction of a lynching is all about justice.

Do you think that every parent that has to drag a kid down that hallway really wants to explain what is going on to their five-year-old?
That might be hoping for too much, but yes!

If you know any Native American Indians you will find that they are tired of being defined by their history instead of who they are now.
I do not see this as defining Native Americans. It in fact defines the non natives.