Quote Originally Posted by arigram
My local distributor here in Crete informed me the other day that all Ilford product are to receive a price rise, some all the way to double, Monday 17th of April.
Is that to affect only Greece or globally?
If some products double then they shall be effectively removed from the market. Ilford products are already priced to the high end and there is, I think, no significant room for substantial price hikes. Items like multigrade filters have already priced themselves out of the market.
Crete, on the other hand, is a "special" market. Greece is a high priced niche market as long as one is talking about Athens or Thessaloniki but when one gets down to Crete one is no longer talking about market. Chania is probably a more likely place for photo supplies than Heraklion and I frankly can't think of a single good source.. everyone just seems to go to Athens to get whatever they need.. all I've found is a bit of a service industry around the tourists so beyond mini-lab supplies...
Greece was quite Agfa land so I imagine that the distributor might be trying to leverage a bit of uncertainty and worries about price hikes to get in some last minute hoarding to raise some quick cash...