Sean contact Livemoa and find out what hotel it was that his friend stayed at. It is two blocks off Union square and ultra reasonable. You will be able to hit all easily used public transportation from there. It is also about 5 blocks from the start of China town and Grant Street. North beach is the area for Italian food and also good seafood. The locals swear by Scomas as the best seafood resturant, but I have my favorite that over looks the bay and Alcatraz as well. If you want to do the tourist thing and go out to Alcatraz make reservations 6 weeks in advance to make sure you can go the day and time you want. The DeYoung museum just reopened in Golden Gate park. Which to me is a great place to go. The Palace of Fine arts is another great museum, but I don't know how to get there via pulbic transportation. There are maps sold near Union square that will show you all the public transportation routes and stations. for less than $5 you will be able to find where to go and how with which line to get there. If someone has the time, Napa valley is great, and would also be fun for your daughter. The Mum Winery has a large Ansel Adams gallery along with exhibitions of current photographers. It is a must if you can get there. Mateo land is not far south at Monterey/Carmel That area I'm sure your wife and daughter would love. Fort Mason just a few blocks from Fishermans wharf usually has great art shows going on. Most the photo galleries are near Union square. To bad I'm not still living there, I could really get you and your family around. Just be careful if you venture south of Market street. The area they call the tenderloin is not exactly a place you would want to go, and especially with your family. Get hold of Geary gaylons and I'm sure he will put together a party for you. BradS knows him and probably has his phone number still. Bjorke has been there as well. With this much notice who knows who might show up, minus me.