Hi Russ,

Really nice to see one of the original "maestros" on the list. Your article on kallitype in Barnier was the most useful practical working instructions on kallitype I found when I began working the process some years ago.

You should start a thread on soft-focus lenses! There is probably not anyoe in the world who knows more about this subject than you, and this has been an interesting topic here on APUG.

Regards,

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young
I won't speak for Ted Rice (have known him since 1978) or Bob Nugent (known him since 1980) BUT have watched Bob make ferric oxalate with steel wool- he got the formula from one of Dick Sullivan's priceless issues of LUMEN. Works like a top if you can draw a good vacuum. Makes great ferric oxalate, at least for kallitypes (my application) but no better than B&S version which I've bought since 1984.

Rudiak had a perhaps unique variation on making ferric oxalate which he developed about 1998. It had some interesting ramifications on speed, color and tone. I watched John make it once; he died about ten days later. Did I take notes? Heck no- he'd always be there to ask...
regretfully,
Russ