I wish I had more time at the moment ... I'd start a thread about copyrights - what they mean and the protection they afford.

Generally, a copyright protects an artistic concept. Every class I've taken stresses that the work is protected from its conception - that is, from the idea itself. One could conceive of a work of art - creating the copyright - describe it to someone else, who then proceeds to *DO* it - and the original artist can recover damages from an infringement of the copyright. The problem would be in proving who had the original concept.

Property and Model Releases are not the same thing... they are contracts permitting the use of an "item" in a very broad sense - like one's body - by another for monetary gain. A simple parallel - I've used your lawnmower to cut my neighbors grass - and I made money from that use. The owner of the lawnmower has the legal right to expect a fair portion of the profit.

There are other laws applicable to photographers - the most notable being those dealing with libel (A famous case had to do with a photograph of a prominent politician taken at an airport. The photographer managed to frame the scene so that it LOOKED like the politician was at the airport with a *stunning* woman - who was not his wife. Actually there was no relation between politician and "stunning" - his wife WAS there and much closer to him than the other girl. So far no libel - but the sleazy rag that printed the photograph libelled by writing a false report stating that the politician WAS there with the girl - arggh!! this has to be an all-time record digression..), and Invasion of Privacy, and a whole bunch of others.

In the case of the "popular barn" the owner of the building could not prevent its being photographed - It is in a public place and there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. The photographer would own the copyright - from its conception.- no matter what He would not be free to make money from the image with no consideration of the owner ... he did use the guy's "lawnmower".

Forgive brevity and typos -