Quote Originally Posted by Kino
Just as it did when video usurped 16mm for "film making" classes, it did NOTHING to help the quality of the image coming out of the schools, it only make the volume of crap jump exponentially higher because it was less expensive to initally capture the images.
I spent my time in that transitional period in filmmaking, and I came out with digital video! But I still think 16mm is one format some people like I will love forever.

The use of video was essential when you ran out of your budget. (At that point you had already maxed out your loans from your and your producer's credit cards!) I had seen and worked on a number of independent feature-length films shot mostly in film but partly on video and put together. They did well in the festival circuits, and mostly cinema lovers didn't seem to mind as long as the stories were good.

I mean, no one expects first-time filmmakers to be so perfect because they come from different backgrounds with different skills, and they don't have everything in their movies yet.

But now the video camera quality (and its projection) has gotten pretty decent, so it seems less of a matter.