ChuckP, I'm in the same boat as GlBeas, having worked in the graphic arts field for 15 years and watched the pre-exposure on our Klimsch gallery cameras using 8 arc lights running at 10% of power with a minimum f stop for a pre-determined time, then main exposure on full power at a correct f stop, it works beautifully.

However a few times we forgot to pre-expose and decided to add the pre-expose as a post expose, halftone dot was all over the place by comparison and we really didn't ever look into changing our technique. In short I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it appeared from empirical experience that pre rather than post does make a difference and pre seemed to be better in that situation.

I have pre-exposed (flashed) B&W and colour neg paper in the past for difficult negs, sort of reckon I'll be doing more of it in the future, maybe I'll try post exposure flashing to what it does.

I would though, be very interested in this post exposure technique as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Perhaps I had really better start looking into this RH designs thing, to see if it could be useful. Going on my family history I have about 20 years of darkroom work left in the body, I would hate to discover the joys of a different tool just as I'm winding down!

Mick.