Ryan,
By now you know that a ulf with extended bellows becomes a sail....it seems some use the stabilizer to add strength to the camera itself at the larger extensions....for this the extra tripod is good...I saw a set up Kerik had where a small support leg was clamped to the front leg of his tripod and extended to the front standard of his 14 x 17....he uses some very large and heavy lenses...maybe he can shed some light on this...it was a commercially available product if I recall....

that being said, if one is setting up in a locale and plans to spend some time in the location photographing in the wind...storm shots, waiting for the light, whatever, I prefer to set up a very portable duck blind, available from Pro Bass or Cabelas, a good wind break is best solution....when shooting 4 x 5 ( I know your post was ulf) , my choice for those windy or stormy conditions, I like toyo with the metal reflex hood...a practically wind proof set up..as also is my old graflex.....

being an apprenticed geezer I never stray far from the truck with the larger cameras so often it works as a good windbreak for starters...