Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
Your best photography is often of the area you know. Photograph where you live & you're liable to create far more insightful work. And, as Weston said, there is more thrill in finding beauty in the mundane.
Photographing what is around day-to-day is the most difficult for me. What we see every day, we no longer "see", in that the neurons that fire and tell the inner being, "That's it!! Photograph This!!", are desensitized. I can travel to Europe, and burn through 20 - 30 rolls of film ... *no* problem. Here in Ipswich, Massachusetts, it is, "Uh .. I can't see anything.." By the same token, a visitor from Europe will burn through 20 - 30 rolls here in Ipswich..

The same phenomenon exists in asking directions from residents. Usually they are supremely inaccurate - not that those asked WANT to lead anyone astray, but the have ceased to "see", that is, pay conscious attention to their surroundings.
My internal instructions - the ones I would use for myself in walking to the Pot Office - are, "Go out. Walk downtown to the Post Office." Directions to a visitor require a great deal more detail, and thought - conscious thought - that we do not normally do; "Walk out of the front door and turn left. At the end of the street, turn left. Walk to High Street, and turn left. You probably should cross the street and walk on the right side where there is a sidewalk..."

That takes discipline, the same sort of discipline required to work, photographically, with familiar objects and surroundings.

I volunteer at the local Visitor's Center. I've got to pay more attention to what seems to attract the attention of the visitors. Possibly, impersonating a Tourist - faking - uh .. "momentarily borrowing" their vision - can be an effective way to break out of an "Artistic Block".