Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
David, If you will reread what I have written I have not diminished technique. I have not said that technical knowledge is undesireable..nor have I meant to convey that creative expression should exist at the opposition of technical expertise.

What I have sought to convey is that technical knowledge is not the same as creative expression. I believe that technical ability is a tool used in creative expression and to make it something else is akin to saying the stove on which we cook our meals is what we should be eating.

I think, quite strongly, that it is long past time to speak of creative expression as the primary necessity to the process. Let us, those of us, with an open mind to something beyond and apart from Zone VIII densities discuss the matter of creative expression.
Donald, I appreciate you are not decrying technique but are rather saying that it in itself is not enough, and I would totally agree with you. What I would suggest, though, is that "technique" does not just mean the physical technicalities of a particular medium, but that there is a perfectly valid technique for developing creative ideas, too. I feel it is not helpful for people striving for artistic expression to think that they have simply to wait for the muse to strike in some vague and indefinable way.

To return to the example of acting, it is a given in this profession that a group of artists (actors) can work through a creative process (rehearsal) and bring this to a predefined conclusion (live performance) by a certain time.It is also a given that technical considerations (learning lines, blocking out moves) have to come first but are far from enough in themselves and are only the necessary prelude to the creative phase (discovering the deeper meaning of a text). I feel there are some principles here which could usefully be applied to other media (including, but not only, photography!).

Best regards,

David