Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
... It does sound like an alignment problem. Is there a uniform loss of sharpness around the periphery of the frame? If the image is sharp along a particular radial axis when the center of the image is in focus, the baseboard is not perpendicular to the optical axis of the lens.
Well, that's just it. The outer edges are out of focus/less sharp all the way around. When I do adjust things one side, for example the left side, will seem to get slightly sharper, but it doesn't translate all that well to the print, and of course doesn't help the right side out too much. I should note this particular adjustment is made using the side to side adjustment of the lens holder. The front to back adjustment (23C owners will know what I'm so poorly describing here) has absolutely no effect on the image sharpness. All this leads me to suspect crummy optics. I just obtained a Rodenstock 75mm from my camera repair guy and have mounted it on the enlarger and will try it tonight (I have to wait for dark to have a darkroom that will live up to its name). But even in the dimmed light in the room I can see a bit of difference when I project my home-scratched reference negative, especially when I stop down. Granted, it's not a Schneider APO, but it should let me know if I'm barking up the right tree or just chasing my tail.