Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
I seem to recall reading advice about doing this with other developers, too, like Dektol and Selectol. I've never done it myself, but it seems like an idea that's established enough that it shouldn't take much convincing.
Most manuals use those two developers in succession and vary the time. But the idea is similar, except that the technique I described is strictly for hue control and not contrast.

Another factor is cross-recommendations. As a user of DS-14, I can now recommend Tektol Standard to somebody who wants a liquid concentrate paper developer that works like DS-14.
I know Jon prepared my published formulae and tested them himself first, but I also think that Jon was happy to set up the manufacturing side and pay for the initial investments because of this effect...

Finally, providing the formulas adds to the comfort level. With manufacturers closing up shop and dropping products left and right, knowing that a formula (or even just a close cousin to it) is available online means that investing in learning the subtleties of a new product won't be in vain, even if the product disappears from the market.
Well, I'm still young and don't plan to stop using film. There should be a way to manage risks like you said and still provide convenience of buying a ready-to-use mix. For example, I understand taht Crawley publishes the formula for discontinued Paterson products that he designed.