Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
Thanks for the clearer answer to my original question!

I seem to recall reading advice about doing this with other developers, too, like Dektol and Selectol. I've never done it myself, but it seems like an idea that's established enough that it shouldn't take much convincing.

I wouldn't say so. It's sort of like open source software. On the face of it, who'd pay to buy a copy of Red Hat Linux or OpenOffice.org when you can download them for free? In fact, lots of people do pay for these products because the commercial versions have small improvements, come with support, etc. Closer to home, Kodak sells gobs of D-76 and Dektol, even though the formulas (or very close analogs to them) are readily available.

Another factor is cross-recommendations. As a user of DS-14, I can now recommend Tektol Standard to somebody who wants a liquid concentrate paper developer that works like DS-14. Even if I keep using my home-made DS-14, that gains sales for Tektol Standard. Sales losses can occur if/when users of the bottled products switch to mixing their own, but I expect most of those losses would have occurred anyhow.

Finally, providing the formulas adds to the comfort level. With manufacturers closing up shop and dropping products left and right, knowing that a formula (or even just a close cousin to it) is available online means that investing in learning the subtleties of a new product won't be in vain, even if the product disappears from the market.
Glad to see this, Ryuji!

Great news!