I agree with Dr. Bob as well, learn to use your eye and just think of all the money you will save on gadgetry. Not that accumulating equipment is all that bad. I can't think of one reason why I need to purchase expensive equipment to judge the contrast of my test strips/staight prints. The key, I think, is to be patient and view your prints in white light after dry down.

After I have determined my basic exposure for the most critical area of the print (not a step test across the image), I then expose one strip at that basic exposure at each hole grade contrast number. I already know the extremes will be there at each end of the contrast test, but I find it useful to view those extremes for local contrast controls in mult-grade printing. After I have determined the best contrast for the critical area, I make a straight print with the basic exposure at the chosen contrast grade. Often I will make several straight prints at the basic exposure using whole grades and then half grades. Once I'm happy with an overall contrast, I start to think about dodging and burning needs. I didn't mean for this reply to get so "wordy".

Good Luck