Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
Ed Weston may have talked in such a manner, but his actions frequently didn't match his intellectualized view of himself. We could compile enough quotes of Ed Weston to produce a "Zen & the art of photography" book, but it wouldn't match the reality of Ed Weston.
What I am doing here is mixing the articles by Charis Wilson and Edward Weston. Charis writes from her observations of Weston... and the one conclusion that I come to is that there is *NO* ambiguity between Weston's description of his philosophies and the way he actually worked.

Weston became "empassioned" by the essence and the forms describing that essence in vegetables. That led to an instant decision to "do" the photograph. Charis reported that he would work to get the *perfect* finished print on the goundglass - even if the finished work would have required manipulation - which he hated to do.

He did produce "series" - among them many works of vegetables ... but not to get "*one*" perfect image ... otherwise the sub-standard negatives would not have been printed, and if they were, and later found not to be of his vision" they certainly would not have been titled, numbered and exhibited.

Weston often became enthralled by the essence of his subjects. Once he wrote, "Today I photographed the most extraodinary pumpkin - unusually beautiful. Tonight I will enjoy it again - as a pie." He often delighted in incorporating the "essence" into his own being ... and with his models ... uh ... I won't go there. Some things are better left unsaid.