I don't know if this is what it's used for--but there was a time, not too-too long ago, when labs mass produced b&w prints using longroll contact printers like those made by Stoufer. Printers with dozens of switchable, and even movable, lamps for control. I know over in High Point NC, where the Furniture Market has been for, well, since the late 50s, early 60s---there are some huge photo studios there (such as Alderman's--used to be the largest in the world) that shot the home-furnishings catalogs on 8x10 and up sized view cameras. Alot of these studios would shoot b&w and color negs/transp--and print the catalogs by contact with the type & copy stripped in underneath. They had large operations similar to offset printing--only with photo paper instead--and the prints would be trimmed out & the corners rounded & then bound together into catalogs for the showrooms & sellers. For the color stuff--they'd correct the chromes or prints back to the piece of furniture in a viewing box back in their labs...huge operations---doing color "washes"--corrections on chrome film and retouching negs & the like.

So, I imagine if there are still labs using longroll contact printers for say, publicity prints?--a contact speed RC paper would be the thing to use.

fwiw--a few of these studios are still working this way, believe it or not...it's not uncommon for them for to shoot a b&w neg like you would a polaroid--run it through the deeptank to proof the shot & then shoot one sheet of chrome film, for example--run that & break the set....all *hotlights*--big sets like a hollywood production, 20, 30 lights--exposures minutes long.....no light meters being used, old cameras like Deardorfs with Commercial Ektars and Wollensak lenses and a stopwatch to time the shot--the "shutter" might be a box over the lens...

anyways--just a thought.