The same thing happened to me, but it was an online attack from a member of the APUG site. It really hits home when they threaten the family. I was called a bigot and got pm death threats. Besides sunsets, don't mention Vietnam or China online. It's too bad because it leaves that bitter taste that never goes away.

About thirty five years ago I was standing on the side of the road with my camera setup on a tripod taking a picture of an old barn and field when a couple of men, and I use that term loosely, started running out of the field near the barn with shot guns yelling hey, hey give me that camera you bastard get over here, hey you f**ker give me that camera.

My wife was in the car and it was running so I through the camera in the back and drove off with the door half open. Drove 70 miles home and the next day the timing belt went out in the car. I guess that was the fastest I have ever driven off.

I have not made a road side picture in the "country" since. Along the coast and in parks yes, but the country, no.