Quote Originally Posted by smileyguy
Wiggy, context. He's not teaching in your "middle of nowhere", he's teaching in Guelph. There ARE camera stores nearby that carry that stuff. That's why I say it's not an unreasonable requirement. He's not teaching EVERY course across North America, he's teaching HIS course at U of G.
OK, if you say that there are camera stores that sell used mechanical cameras in or near Guelph, I'll have to believe you - never been there. Fair enough.

We're all saying the same thing. Fundamentals are good. Enjoying photography is good. Teaching is good. Taking pictures is good. Pressing buttons and experimenting is good. Playing is good. Learning is good. Film is good. Digital is good. Artistic is good. Craft is good. Mastery is good. Luck is good. Basics is good. Advanced knowledge is good. It's all good.
Good?
Actually, what I read was that 'we' meaning everyone but me are indeed saying the same thing, which is 'learn it the way I did, kid, or don't bother.' If I were a kid, I'd tell the teacher to get stuffed and learn what I needed on my own, or I'd join a Flickr group, get together, and make art without the approval of the fossils with the K1000's (and don't forget, I'm a fossil with a K1000 saying this). We could have been inclusive. Instead, we insist that the world keep spinning the way it did when we were tykes and dinosaurs roamed the earth, and guess what? We cut our own throats. We become increasingly irrelevant.

Yes, all those things are good. To make learning the ins and outs of an archaic mechanical camera a prerequisite to teaching photography is to turn one's back on the would-be artists who choose not to play with grandpa's toys in a beginning class. It is a shame.

But then, I have noted with surprise over the years that many photographers I have met will go out of their way to exclude as many as possible from the rung on the ladder that they currently occupy.