Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
You are not the only person to be fascinated with this look. I love it myself though I often prefer a 5x enlargement off 35mm -- the biggest most people would have gone in the 30s, whole-plate (6.5 x 8.5 inch) paper with a nice big border around the image.

The best films I have found for a 'generic' 1930s tonality are Forte, preferably overexposed by a stop or so (which also makes for bigger grain and lower sharpness). Fomapan 200 in FX39 comes close to the late 30s/early 40s Kodak tonality. I wouldn't agree with Firecracker because Kodak's films have been updated too often.

True sulphide toning gives the best browns, NOT thiourea/thiocarbanide. It stinks, but toxicity isn't a significamt issue with even an iota of common sense. Consider how few photographers it killed in the 1930s when it was commonplace.

Then you need to look for a deckle-edge trimmer to give the raggedy edge on your prints...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
Plus-X exposed in contrasty lighting conditions (ideally using arc or spot lamps) developed in Diafine and printed on ADOX fineprint developed in Eukobrom with a brief selenium tone gives a very nice 'vintage' look to your prints. Like Roger I like 5x enlargements off 35mm film - IMHO a 5x7.5 print on 8x10 paper in an 11x14 mount is near perfect. BTW Fortepan/classicpan 400 seems to have extended red sensitivity which suggests it is optimised for shooting under tungsten hot lamps

Hope this helps,

Lachlan