Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
99.9% of my photography is for my own enjoyment only, and I have never seriouly attempted portraits...

however, I have agreed to work on a project for someone else which features a model.

I am happy with a few of the shots I got, but in the pictures, she looks a little, ahem, well, heavy.

Anyone know of any enlarging/printing controls I could use to "take off a few pounds"?
- (the model is the only in-focus element in the composition, if that helps)

aimin' to please-

Matt
Hi Matt,

It is a difficult position in which you envision yourself. I would print the images to the best of my ability. Trying to duplicate a particular lighting technique in the darkroom may not work to everyone's satisfaction but it may be worth a try. Typically a "split" lighting technique in which one side of the face is in shadow will tend to give the impression of narrowing the face. Whereas a "broad" lighting technique will have very little side to side variance in lighting. This will give the impression of a fuller face.

These lighting arrangements are best handled at the time of exposure. Blansky (on this site) would be the guy to talk to on actual lighting set ups. He is a wizard at this type of thing. Anyone that can work with children at his level of competence and still play hockey is to be admired. He is a humble man and you may need to draw him out a bit...he is normally quite shy and retiring.

The model was not of your choosing and so you can't be faulted entirely for what the camera captured.

Good luck.