Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb
Your face and body are indeed yours to do with as you please, but you have no legal expectation of privacy when you leave private spaces and venture out into public. The same legal system that allows others to photograph you in public also prevents them from publishing your image without consent for commercial use, and from holding you up to scorn or ridicule. You have legal recourse if these things happen; and I can't imagine in this day and age any publisher actually doing these things without a model release.

In the meantime may I gently suggest you should lighten up, and realize that none of us is really as important or noteworthy as we'd like to think, in the scheme of things.

How can I gently suggest to you that
I'll learn to temper the manner in which I address people when they do likewise. I find it insulting that someone make the assumption that someone is ashamed of not wanting to be photographed.

And yes, I do have an expectation of privacy when out in public because I have no other alternative but to venture out. If I could stay home 100% of the then I would do so to ensure that not only people were not invading my privacy but also not putting my life at risk (which is another topic).

I would suggest that people not tell other people to lighten up, gently or otherwise, as it only serves to aggrevate matters. And people shouldn't make negative assumptions and generalizations about people. Instead of asking what people are ashamed of, it should have been asked, simply, why some photographers don't want to be photographed. Just because something seems hypocritical (and that's assuming the photographer doesn't ask for permission) doesn't mean someone has a right to negatively label them as being "ashamed" to have their photo taken. That's childish and one could say that perhaps that is the person that needs to lighten up.

I think it unwise for me to continue in this thread so if you wish to say something more to me please send me a PM.