Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
I think it would be a lot of fun, and a good challenge, to try ULF- but I personally don't have the funding right now to shoot film that costs in upwards of $5 a sheet. I also think that my work and style is perfectly suited to any format 4x5 or smaller. I don't think that I need to shoot in a format in which I am more concerned on how big it is rather than be able to focus all my attention on what I'm actually taking a photo of. Sometimes it seems to me that Alt. Process and ULF photographers feel a lot more secure knowing that if they are shooting with something that is "obscure" that more people will become interested in it- I think this is mainly due to the sheer size of their negative or the chemical makeup of the print.
-Grant
grant what you say makes perfect sense. But Ive found in the time Ive been doing this its not the case. People can think that their work is more interesting because of format, obscurity, size... but the point still remains that an image holds its own.

"I don't think that I need to shoot in a format in which I am more concerned on how big it is rather than be able to focus all my attention on what I'm actually taking a photo of."

that may be true for some (although I dont imagine they would admit it... and it may be completely UNTRUE for others.

Its coming across as some broad far reaching statements that you are making. But that could just be the inadequate process of communicating through typed words on a forum (of which sometimes it can make no sense)
Ill make some assumptions, you shoot with 4x5 or smaller because thats what you feel right with.
assuming that holds true with EVERY other photographer out there its up to them to decide what that is... maybe its minox or maybe its 20x24.
If they seem to believe that just because its bigger its better, well then thats not much different than somone touting that the latest 12MP digicam makes their photos better.

I think you are right in that the image should stand on its own, and the process should back it up. but thats just my personal opinion, I bet theres people out there that think process/craft can stand on its own.

to each their own.