Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
... but I'd be interested in others' views on the very concept of what an elite is for, should be for and shouldn't be for.
The elite exist to keep the peasants in their place, of course. Of course, there is the ancient tradition of 'noblesse oblige', which works pretty well, until someone notices that they're the one being 'obliged', which tends to increase the dust kicked up in the general vicinity of that unfortunate and his or her 'noblessor', if I may coin a phrase.

The mere existence of an elite gives the lie to the notion that all are equal, that there are no differences between human beings, this pervasive modern insistance that one ignore the evidence of one's own senses and intellect and pretend that every idea is equally valid, that every opinion is equally important, every thought equally worthy.

...So the Maples formed a Union
And demanded equal rights
'The Oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more Oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet,
And saw...

-Rush, "The Trees," from "Power Windows"

The elite ride horses, wave swords about, and pillage from time to time. Or was that a movie I saw?

As to what the elite 'should' be for - what 'should' the sun be for? What is the purpose of the moon? The elite are.

What shouldn't the elite be for? Whatever they choose not to be for, I suppose.

But, of course I must add that I have always disliked the elite. And in any revolution, well, you know who is first for the chop. The guy with the monocle and the look on his face like he just smelled something awful, whose every third sentence drips with condescension.