Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
...but is it a good idea for me to start out on a trip like that on the icefield parkway by myself? I don't want to get in over my head.
I wouldn't get too worried about it as this road is the 'jewel in the crown' of Canada's mountain parks as far as accessability goes...over 1,000,000 people a year drive that road and I've never heard any "Donner Party" type stories yet They have enough snow removal crews and equipment to keep all those tourists happy and willing to come back again to spend more money.

Nobody is trying to scare you here, it's just that while traveling in mountainous areas you should expect weird weather at any time of year, and we don't want to give you the impression you can stroll through there dressed only in a thong and a pair of plastic flip flops on your feet. It can rain in January and snow in August...you just never know!

You're on the right track thinking you should visit the Canadian Rockies since you'll be in Edmonton anyways...just get your butt to Banff because it's calling your name, then you never know what will happen or which direction you'll head from there

Murray