Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
Azo black is like no other black. In camera ULF negatives create a unique sharpness. The tonal scale of AZO is far greater than any other paper. Amidol is assumed of course. I have used a condenser head for the last 5 years and I will never look back to the diffusion head for monochrome.
Frank brought up an interesting point. I measured the Dmax and Dmin of three papers this afternoon. The results are as follows.

Seagull Fiber grade two ---------Dmin---.08-----Dmax------2.04
Azo grade two--------------------Dmin---.08-----Dmax------2.05
JandC Polywarmtone Classic----D min---.06 ----Dmax------2.12

Of these three papers Oriental and Azo have very nearly the same Dmin and Dmax reflective densities.

JandC Polywarmtone Classic is a winner on both ends of the spectrum. Lighter whites and deeper blacks. Granted this is a warmtone paper but I have been told that it will render neutral in Amidol.

I honestly was surprised by the reflective density comparison of these three papers. I fully expected Azo to blow the other two away. That was not the case.

Obviously this not take into account the slope of the curve of any of these papers. Azo's curve is less inclined then either of the other two papers...hence the need for a higher density range on an Azo negative.