I am not prepared to state categorically that one can not use minimal agitation procedures with PMK. My current thinking on the matter results not from my own experiments but from the fact that both Hutchings and Wimberlely have been so insistent on the need for frequen agitation cycles with PMK, and the former in particular offers sound reasons why this is important. To quote from Hutchings, "tests have shown that the primary oxidation products of pyro developers have strong staining effects and will leave a path of stained gelatin as they move across the film if the agitation is inadequate." (p. 21, 1991 edition of The Book of Pyro).

But there may be reason to revist the issue. As I mentioned earlier I myself have had some limited success with PMK and minimal agitation. In fact, when I made the tests with Tmax 100 to compare resolution of PMK and Pyrocat-HD I developed both negative sets side by side in tanks on spiral reeds, using exactly the same agitation procedure, i.e. for one minute initially and for ten seconds every three minutes thereafter. And frankly I can see no indication of uneven staining on the negatives developed in PMK. However, to be completely objective I should point out that the test target itself did not contain the large areas of high density that typically serve as the locus from which developer byproducts begin to streak.

I will not be able to attend the large format conference in Monterey. Unfortunately the dates fall near the end of my spring semester when I am always swamped with work at the university.

Sandy King